ChiliProject 2.4.0 has just been released. It includes some bugfixes for ChiliProject 2.3.0 as well as one security fix. It is suitable for use on production websites and we recommend that all users download the release as soon as possible.
Users of the old 1.x release branch, please check the 1.5.4 release which includes the security fix.
2.4.0 includes 3 new features and 8 bug fixes for 2.3.0. The major highlights of this release are:
- The bundled Textile library which is used to transform the markup used in issues and wiki pages contained a bug which prevented it from properly escaping certain characters URLs for image tags. This allowed for a persistent cross-site-scripting vector (XSS). The fix for this bug prevents its exploitation for newly entered content as well as for already present text.
- We tremendously improved our Ruby 1.9 compatibility. While our test suite completely passes for 1.9 we had several reports of encoding issues in the past. With this release we are very confident that these issues should be fixed by now – to the extend possible by the current Rails and Rack implementations. However we still recommend Ruby 1.8.7 or Ruby Enterprise Edition as the most widely deployed ruby variants for ChiliProject.
- Users running MySQL and Ruby 1.9 should be aware that the mysql database adapter seems not to play nice with Ruby 1.9. We strongly recommend to use mysql2 with Ruby 1.9.
- Users using the rmagick group to export the Gantt chart as a PNG mentioned that Ruby 1.9 requires rmagick 2.0.0 or newer. Thus we adapted our Gemfile to allow newer versions to be installed. In future versions of ChiliProject we will require rmagick 2 which currently requires rather new distributions. We will announce the deprecation time frame once it has been decided.
- The project identifier can now automatically be created based on the project name saving project managers some keystrokes.
Users of Redmine should be advised that the fixed issue is also present there. There is currently no Redmine release that fixes the it. Currently it is only addressed in the trunk and 1.2-stable branch in the repository. You should either upgrade or apply the fix in the issue manually.
The full list of changes are below:
- Bug #277: News list is missing Avatars
- Bug #458: rmagick specified in the Gemfile doesn’t build in Ubuntu 11.04
- Bug #591: ArgumentError (invalid byte sequence in US-ASCII)
- Bug #640: internal error on journals for deleted custom fields
- Bug #647: XSS: User input for images is not properly sanitized
- Bug #652: wrong redirect after login when url contains umlaute
- Bug #667: Label all input field and control tags
- Bug #668: Duplicate “Modules” section on Copy Project
- Feature #221: Use the git sha for the revision
- Feature #240: Link to global news on projects list
Contributors to 2.4.0
- Eric Davis
- Felix Schäfer
- Greg Mefford
- Holger Just
- Jan Schulz-Hofen
- Pieter Nicolai
- Romano Licker
- Toshi MARUYAMA
- Etienne Massip
- Karel Picman
- Mischa The Evil
We would like to especially thank Mischa The Evil who informed us of the security issue. If you think you have found a security issue in ChiliProject please report it to the security team privately so we can follow responsible disclosure.
In closing, go and download ChiliProject 2.4.0 now.